Marrowstone Island, Washington is a hidden pastoral retreat where gulls wheel overhead and eagles and Osprey fish the waters of Kilisut Harbor. Linger amidst the island life where oysters are pulled fresh from the sea, beaches are rich for clam digging, rolling green hills are filled with wild strawberries and views of the distant jutting peaks of the rugged Olympic Mountains.
Settled in the 1800s by Norwegian immigrants, Marrowstone Island is still home to descendants of the original settlers. The town of Nordland, the only town on the island, has a general store, cabins and a boat dock. Barely more than six square miles, Marrowstone is a long narrow island with a rural feel and old world air.The island was named by George Vancouver, a British explorer who, in 1792, found marrowstone deposits in the sandy cliffs around the island. At the North end of the island is Fort Flagler State Park, a military base built in 1907 to protect the entrance to Puget Sound. Fort Flagler existed as a military base until the early 1950s when it was closed and turned into a state park. The barracks and bunkers are preserved today and open to the public.