Port Townsend is a community of 8,925 people located at the Northeast tip of the Olympic Peninsula. It is nationally recognized as a destination community with a thriving arts community, vibrant walkable downtown, Victorian seaport heritage, and nearby Olympic National Park.
An easily accessible getaway with an urban feel in a rural setting, Port Townsend offers wide cultural, historic, and recreational experiences. National Geographic calls Port Townsend “one of the most sophisticated places west of Seattle” and recently ranked it the world’s 24th most historic destination.
Settled on April 24, 1851, Port Townsend is one only three registered U.S. Victorian Seaports. Numerous movies have been filmed on location, including The Ring, An Officer and a Gentleman, Enough, Snow Falling on Cedars, Practical Magic, and The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial.
Port Townsend is home to Fort Worden State Park, a 434-acre, 19th century military fort is now a state park and lifelong learning center with over two miles of saltwater shoreline and a wide variety of conference-class services and facilities. Located at Fort Worden State Park, Centrum is a gathering place for artists and creative thinkers from around the world. It offers world-renowned music and literary festivals in the summer. In September, movies and film become the focus at the Port Townsend Film Festival, a film lover’s block party celebrating great films and filmmakers.
Port Townsend is widely recognized as an international hub for wooden boats. The Northwest Maritime Center is a showcase for the community’s deep maritime heritage and offers educational programs and space for conferences, meetings, and events. Held each September, The Wooden Boat Festival is the premier wooden boat gathering in North America. Featuring more than 200 wooden vessels, the Festival attracts tens of thousands of boat owners, builders, and enthusiasts.
Port Townsend is an exceptional place to do business. Thanks to its inviting quality of life and highly-educated population, a number of business clusters exist in the area:
- Maritime: Port Facilities, Marine Trades, Education
- Advanced Technology: Maritime, Custom Production, Composites, Specialized Manufacturing
- Green Manufacturing: Paper products, Solar, Hydroponics, Recycling
- Arts & Fine Crafts: Artists, Craftspeople, Video & Graphics Design
- Food, Farms & Aquaculture: Farms, Breweries, Wines, Cheeses, Fisheries & Shellfish, Food Processing, Storage & Distribution
- Life Long Learning & Edu-Tourism: Festivals, Conferences, Residential Workshops, Higher Education, Museums
- Tourism and Retail: Accommodations, Lodging, Specialty shopping